Cleaning polish cream is used mainly on the body and the guitar neck to remove swirls, fill light cracks, and provide a sealant to the paint to ensure that it will hold its bright colour.
One can compare this to the wax that you put on your car. The guitar polish cream to treat the paint properly, and ensure that the harmful dust and chemicals that come in contact with it don’t penetrate the surface making it much harder to repair from any damage that will occur.
So, the polish cream protects the finish of the guitar, and also makes it look like it has just rolled out of the factory, bringing the colour and smell back into it! Most manufacturers will claim that it also brings the proper tone back into the wood, since it properly brings the wood and finish back to the optimal state of oil and lubrication.
Some popular brands are:
- Kyser Polish – A deep cleaning polish protects wood finished and even improves playing ease. Non-streak and contains no carnauba wax.
- Dunlop Formula No. 65 & Polish Cloth Combo (pictured above) – Restores finish to original luster by providing a micro thin, stain resistant protective layer on the surface on the guitar.
- Planet Waves Restore Deep Cleaning Cream Polish – Designed to cut through the toughest grime, polishes out swirls marks and even minor scratches. Safe on all common guitar finishes.
- Martin Guitar Polish – Formulated to sustain the classic finish and preserve the wood beneath it.
- Music Nomad Guitar Polish – Removes oxidation and restores a brilliant shine.
- Gibson Pump Polish Finishing Cream – Instrument care product